Please enjoy this repost of a very popular craft I concocted back in 2012.
As we all prepare for a great season of gardening, I'm sure you're coming across some gardening tools that have worked their gardening magic and seen their day. For weeks I have been trying to throw out this very used and very leaky garden hose and the City garbage men refuse to take it! Annoyed as I was, I thought they must be sending me some type of message urging me to repurpose and reinvent this green coiled mess.
Anyway, as you can see, I decided to transform the garbage misfit hose into a very useful door mat.
- A leaky garden hose.
- A square dollar store door mat. I bought a square gray door mat for $1 at the local Christmas Tree Shop.
- E-6000 adhesive at a craft or hardware store. I used three tubes of the stuff for this project.
- Garden pruners (to cut the garden hose).
- A strong scissors to cut down the mat.
- Some heavy garden pots to use as weights to hold down the hose sections while the glue dries. Actually any heavy object will suffice.
- .75" x .94" corks (to seal the cut ends of the hose lengths).
Here's how you do it:
- Place the door mat on a flat surface.
- Using the garden pruners, cut a section of the hose so that it creates the outer half circle of the mat. Don't worry if the ends of the hose hang over the mat...you can trim them off when you've finished gluing all of the sections onto the mat.
- Place a generous amount of glue on the hose then position it on the mat. Remember, you're working with the outer half circle first.
- Position heavy pots on this first section to keep in place and let dry overnight.
- When the first section is dry, simply repeat with all of the remaining cut hose sections to fill in the half circle using heavy objects to hold the sections in place.
- When finished and all of the hose sections are dry, cut the ends with the pruners so that they are all the same length.
- Glue and insert corks into each of the ends to seal the openings.
- Finally, with a scissors cut the door mat base to the half-circle shape you've created.
This mat is super durable and easily cleaned by hosing it down.